Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Classic Roast Chicken

Last night I made Classic Roast Chicken-a recipe I found in my new cookbook "The Weeknight Chef" by Williams-Sonoma .  It turned out so tender and delicious, and, best of all, there were a ton of leftovers for sandwiches for the week.  Here is the recipe:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Classic Roast Chicken
1 4 lb. Whole Chicken
2 T  Rosemary
3/4 Cup Chicken Broth
1/4 Cup Dry White Wine or Chicken broth ( I just used 1 Cup of chicken stock)
Salt and Pepper
Olive Oil

Preheat the oven to 450*F.  Place the chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a large roasting pan.  Rub with olive oil, rosemary, and generous amounts of salt and pepper.  Roast for 20 minutes.  Reduce the oven temperature to 400*F and continue to roast about 40-50 minutes longer.  Transfer to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes.

While the chicken is resting, use the juices to make the pan sauce.  I almost skipped this step, but it really did add good flavor to the chicken.  Pour off all but about 1 1/2 teaspoons fat from the roasting pan. Place over medium-high heat and add the broth and wine.  Bring to a boil and stir, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.  Cook until slightly reduced, about 1 minute.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Carve the chicken , top with the sauce and serve.
* I served my chicken with roasted brussel sprouts.

*Here is a great video on How to Carve a Whole Chicken 

1 comment:

  1. YUM! Roasting a whole chicken intimidates me, but I can't wait to try this recipe. Good find!

    ReplyDelete