Monday, September 19, 2011

What's On the Menu Monday

I want to start this blog off right....with some recipes!  My passion is cooking.....I love to cook for David, for friends, and for no reason at all.  Who knows maybe I will go to culinary school someday.  But for now, the skills passed on to me from my grandmothers and mother will have to do.  Since it has been a cool 80 degrees in Dallas (it really does feel cool compared to 70+ days in the 100's), I have been craving homemade bread.  Last week I made Pumpkin Bread and Zucchini Bread.....David said "they were the best he has ever tasted", and I have to say they were pretty good. I also made a recipe I found in the Williams-Sonoma catalog, and, tonight, I am making Classic Roast Chicken-a recipe I found in The Weeknight Cook cookbook by Williams-Sonoma.  (I will post about the Roast Chicken after we taste it)

I hope you enjoy these recipes!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zucchini Bread-a recipe from my Great-Grandmother, Effie
(Yields 2 regular size loaves or 4 mini loaves)
3 eggs
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
3 Medium Zucchini or 2 Cups, grated
2 t. Vanilla
2 Cups Flour
1/4 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
3 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
1 Cup nuts, chopped ( I use walnuts)

*Preheat oven to 350* F.  Beat eggs lightly in a large bowl.  Stir in oil, sugar, zucchini, and vanilla.  Sift Flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; stir into egg mixture until well blended.  Stir in nuts.  Spoon batter into 2 well greased 8x5x3 loaf pans or 4 mini loaf pans.  Bake in a 350* oven for 25-30 minutes.  (less for mini loaves)  Insert a toothpick into the center of the loaf--if it comes out clean remove the pans from the oven.  Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes.  Then remove the bread from the pans and cool completely on the wire rack.  








1 comment:

  1. Love the new blog, Emily! Can't wait to start reading more Emily and David adventures!:)

    ReplyDelete